Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Launch

Yes, that's me. I'm lazy about lots of things, but this one is among my most contradictory. I love the idea of not driving. I even love not driving. But I don't like to have to replace it with things that take, you know, any time or effort. Now that Sarah's got the Portland Green Streets chapter up and humming, though, and, let's face it, now that gas is $3.32 at the Cumby's on the corner, I'm having more trouble getting away with it with myself. My office is only 3.28 miles away, and I have a perfectly good bike, and I'm really not all that busy.

I thought it might be fun to document my commuting adventures - lord knows I need all the incentive I can get. I also like to talk about how lazy I am, because it makes it harder to miss out on good stuff as a result of it. Plus, funny things happen when I leave the car at home. It hasn't failed yet. (Three for three.)

At this particular moment I don't have much time in which to document, but I wanted to say that thanks to one of the kiddos I work with, whom I promised I'd get myself to work on foot this morning, come hell or high water, that I did. Walk. And although my heels were a little raw by the time I got there, thanks to a poor choice of socks and a winter's hiatus from sneaker wearing, it was a gorgeous walk in 40 degree weather and an awful nice way to spend the first hour of the day. (No, I didn't leave at midnight. I just meant the first hour of the day out and about.)

(Please comment on the readability of the color scheme.)

4 comments:

megin said...

Lazy you!

Like the idea. Like the different voice.

The color scheme doesn't have enough contrast for my feeble eyes. Maybe something neon? Or green (hee hee)?

Martha said...

$3.32?
Well, it's already $3.95 here in CA. But then, I don't buy gas. I'm lucky enough to be in a place where it's completely possible to live a life without driving. Although it's not without it's upset and delays. Like when you run for the bus, and just don't make it. Or when someone has nothing better to do than set a fire in the transbay tunnel. My personal favorite, "WE'LL BE WAITING HERE AT WEST OAKLAND BECAUSE OF POLICE ACTION IN THE 19TH STREET STATION." Then they just leave you to wonder.

Jonathan B. said...

I really like the new blog, Mere. Colors are weak, though. Too wimpy and gray. Remember, you're trying to conserve energy, not color.

You seriously walked 3 miles to and from work? That's insane. I know I'm supposed to be supportive and stuff, but that's a long damn way. Sometimes I miss the last train and have to walk two miles home, and I think *that's* a really long way.

Good luck with the bike. Watch out for people turning left on green into you. I read somewhere that that is what kills people on motorcycles a lot, and I assume it's also probably a danger for regular bikes, too.

Say, how about you get a motorcycle? How cool would that be?

Meredith said...

Now it's up to $3.37. We're back to my original (other) blog colors. I was trying to branch out, but I couldn't make it work. At least you'll probably recognize me...