Thursday, April 17, 2008

Relativity

As it turns out, walking to work yesterday was a great idea because not only was it a nice way to spend the first hour of the day, it was also a good way to realize that riding my bike would be much easier. (Until yesterday, I was always comparing riding to driving, and for this slovenly character, that was a tough sell.) As I made my way slowly along my route, my shoes started to rub my heels the wrong way, and as the boredom ebbed and flowed, I found myself thinking about how much more quickly it would go were I on my bike. I also discovered that it was not, as I had anticipated, as much less stressful walking than biking. One of my major complaints (and there are more to come, I assure you) about biking in the city, even this little tiny one, is that the intersections offer so many opportunities for disaster that the ride is never all that pleasant what with the constant worry about what’s coming from which direction. You'd think I'd have done enough walking to know better than to think this wouldn't be the case when you’re on foot as well. I just really like how much easier it is to respond quickly to vehicular surprises when I'm not suspended precariously above the ground.

So I rode to work today, and the payoff was more than just the satisfaction of having left the car in the driveway. I'll get into my complaints in more volume and depth soon.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Hope you're wearing your helmet! Well, I suppose you can take it off now that you're at the office.

M.

megin said...

List those payoffs, woman!

Oh, and a consider: Bike riding, especially of the commuting type, is not actually intended to always be relaxing or enjoyable. As, I would argue, car driving so often isn't, in spite of its fast nature.