Wednesday, May 21, 2008

First Lilacs


They actually had to pretty much bonk me on the head for me to notice that they're finally opening up. I wouldn't even have remembered it was time for them, except that there were some wide open and tossing their odiferous selves all over the place in Cambridge over the weekend.

On this ride (technically yesterday), I got brave and rode with the traffic on the congested part of my route. Speaking of technicalities, I wouldn't actually call it brave. I got some help from a woman with a trailer and child in tow. I met her at a cross street where I guiltily slunk down off the sidewalk and waited behind her to get back on and use the street properly. It reminded me of waiting in line to jump in when we used to play double dutch in elementary school. You have to sort of bond with the traffic as it whizzes by until finally it's time to slip into one of the spaces between.

"It's a lousy road," she said. "You just have to take up a lane and let 'em go around you." But what if they DON'T, I couldn't help thinking, though I just nodded and raised my eyebrows as though I did this every day. I fell in behind her when she pulled out, letting her be my training wheels. And the cars did go around us.

I'm thinking maybe I should get a trailer to haul around just so I'd take up more space and be harder to miss (sight-wise, that is). Or maybe this would be a good reason to have kids?

I got there lots faster, incidentally. It apparently takes a long time to wait for walk signals at intersections and then push your bike across. Plus I'm pretty sure I could hear the people in the cars (who were likely experienced, savvy, and cool cyclists themselves) rolling their eyes at me. I'm pretty sure most everyone spends most of their time paying attention to how cool I do and don't look.

But I'm makin' progress. Here's a pic from along the way, and the tulips, for good measure.

5 comments:

Jonathan B. said...

So let me get this straight, Meredith Pennington: you used a mother riding with a small child as a shield from traffic? I would've have thought that riding one's bike to work would not bring up ethical quandaries, but I see that even the high road has a gutter. For shame, sir!

Meredith said...

Indeed. I know you would've have thought that, but as you say, gutters abound. She did a helluva job.

Anonymous said...

Love the moral dilemma here -- ride on sidewalks (not a good biker move at all) or ride behind a child as your pick. Heck, if the mom and kid help you gain confidence on the road, i say trust them. And try for a freecycle trailer. It's definitely good for the visibility. And hauling books and groceries to boot! Oh, and maybe a kiddo.

Meredith said...

Just To Clarify. These two were in front of me, so I would have been the one squashed. I used them more as a visibility enhancer than a blocking mechanism. I prob'ly would've ridden behind her even without the trailer, because she just plain wasn't nervous about being out there with the big kids. I have a feeling I'll keep getting bolder, but it's a little strange to feel more comfortable when it isn't actually getting any safer.

Anonymous said...

please no riding on the sidewalk! safety on sidewalks is relative too. believe me! yeah, i know i'm preachy when it comes to safety and rules. sorry about that.

be bold and bolder!