Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Yesterday's Ride

I'm supposed to be a writers' group right now, but I rode my bike to work yesterday and I've been dying to write about it ever since. But all these things kept happening and this is the first second I've had to actually do it.

It wasn't that special a trip, really, but the thing was that I almost didn't do it. I'd planned on it, knowing that it'd be sunny and warmish, but then I woke up overwhelmed by the day and all there was in it, particularly the heartache associated with the impending closing of our neighborhood library, and as the time approached by which I'd have to leave in order to make it on time by bike, the ride seemed less and less likely.

And then somehow I rallied. It was really like my legs knew something my brain didn't. (Go figure.) The whining in said brain was piercing as I scrambled around trying to make up the time lost to moping, pumping the tires, smashing the helmet down over the earflapped hat (it wasn't all that warm, after all). I DON'T WANNA! was the gist of it.

I got out there, slung myself over the seat, and I was off. The river was fogged in, and the traffic was out in droves for my first rush hour ride, and my legs weren't really up for it, but I got there, and I spared myself a few miles in the less-than-stellar loaner I'm driving while my car's in the shop.

And, yes, I lost track of being overwhelmed by the day. By the end of it, we were out with the rest of the neighborhood letting the local TV folk know we don't intend to let it go quietly. (I haven't actually seen the footage, because I don't have the right video player, so you may actually see my silly mug if you get the clip to play.) We don't know if we're any closer to keeping the library, but I was glad to know I wasn't the only one who would miss it. The kids made the best signs, of course.

No comments: